Monday, September 24, 2007

Reason #4,382 Why I Hate the Post Office

Actual email I received from an Ebay customer, today:

"Hi, I received the package today but I had to pay an extra 4.05 to get it because it was mailed in a flat rate box. To ship in a flat rate box it was 8.95. There was 4.90 in postage on there so they made me pay 4.05 to get it."


Now, I sent her package in a Priority Mail flat-rate box, with EVERY occurance of the words "Flat-Rate" carefully magic-markered out, so that it looked just like any other Priority Mail box, and a scannable prepaid label for standard Priority postage.
And WHY did I have to use a flat-rate box, in the first place? Just read my reply...

"I'm so sorry; I'll refund the extra postage, asap!
Our local post office is so incompetant it's ridiculous...I had to use the flat-rate boxes for some of my shipments, because that was all I had left at the house, and our PO keeps NOTHING in stock. They didn't have any Priority Mail supplies, at all, and (after rolling their eyes and giving me a lot of attitude, of course) finally promised they'd get some supplies in, in a couple of days.
And of course, they did not. >@ So, I ended up just using some of the flat-rate boxes, and marking out the words "flat-rate," in the assumption that would suffice.

I hate our post office, and have now ordered apx. one GAZILLION of every Priority Mail box or bag available, to keep on hand, as our PO seems to think it's just CRAZY for customers to expect to be able to use the normal services other post offices provide.

Anyway, now that I've ranted at you, lol - please let me know what email address I should use, to refund the $4.05, and I'll get it sent right out.
Do you suppose it's considered terrorism, to egg a government building? I'd better set aside bail money, just in case."


That was actually a lie - nobody at the Post Office rolled their eyes or gave me attitude. They rolled their eyes and gave Peyton attitude, just like they do, most every time I send him up there with a request. On the rare, magical occasions when they actually DO have the needed Priority Mail supplies in stock, he invariably gets the "Now, we have other customers, and it's not fair for you to take all the supplies" lecture - like when he makes the CRAZY request for a few Priority labels, or something of that sort. And all I can ever think, is "NO, NO YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE OTHER CUSTOMERS, OR YOU WOULD KEEP MORE THAN A DOZEN LABELS IN STOCK. STOP PRETENDING THE STANDARD SUPPLIES PROVIDED FOR FREE BY EVERY OTHER POST OFFICE ARE A HOT NEW ITEM YOU HAVE TO HOARD LIKE RATION COUPONS. YOU ARE NOT DOING US A FAVOR, WHEN YOU GIVE US THE REQUIRED SUPPLIES WITH WHICH TO USE A SERVICE WE HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR; THAT IS CALLED DOING YOUR JOB.

That is IT, for me. 99% of the time, when I receive something I've purchased on Ebay and paid First Class or Parcel Post shipping on, it comes in a Priority Mail box or bag, turned inside-out - sellers do this, so that they can use the free shipping supplies, without having to charge Priority Mail prices. Technically, this is in violation of federal law, but obviously the government is not cracking down on it.
So. I'm announcing my stand, right here in front of God and everybody (because, as we all know, God is a Constant Reader of my blogs): I will never pay for First Class or Parcel packaging, again. As of today, I join the ranks of those unlawful citizens who turn their Priority boxes inside out, damn it. And good luck to the postman, who will be stuck delivering the even more monstrous order of Priority supplies I'm about to go order, from the website.
SCREW YOU, USPS!


And I'm serious, about those eggs. When you least expect it, Arcadia Post Office, I am coming.


*please note* this blog is intended for entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal confession of guilt in any past, present or future illegal acts against the United States Postal Service. I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove I did it, and those were not my eggs. So bite me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, while I can definately appreciate the horrible service at the Arcadiapost office, the one here in the Virgin Island is nearly as bad, or worse. I got a flat rate box the send a friend a package. When I went to the post office to get the box, I specifically asked, do the flat rate boxes work the same here as on the mainland. The lady assured me that they did, and even said, yes because this is considered part of the US. Then when I brought the box back to mail, they began weighing it. When I questioned her, and pointed out it was a flat rate box, she said, oh I know, but it costs $11 to send it from here. WHAT?!?!? How exactly does that make it a flat rate box?!?!? Stupid, stupid island!!!

smilekl said...

LOL, while I can definately appreciate the horrible service at the Arcadiapost office, the one here in the Virgin Island is nearly as bad, or worse. I got a flat rate box the send a friend a package. When I went to the post office to get the box, I specifically asked, do the flat rate boxes work the same here as on the mainland. The lady assured me that they did, and even said, yes because this is considered part of the US. Then when I brought the box back to mail, they began weighing it. When I questioned her, and pointed out it was a flat rate box, she said, oh I know, but it costs $11 to send it from here. WHAT?!?!? How exactly does that make it a flat rate box?!?!? Stupid, stupid island!!!